Pressure to Procreate

When I was 25, I was having a conversation with someone and they asked me if I had any kids. I said no and they were like, "Why not? You're getting old."  I was a little offended but I didn't get upset. I'm 28 now and I'm still without children.  I'm certainly not going to run out and get pregnant just to beat the biological clock!  But really, if I didn't have kids at all, would my life be without purpose? I just finished grad school and I'm working on improving my career.  I'm not saying that a career is more important than a family but at least now that I have my degrees under my belt, I'm better equipped to support any children that I do have. I don't know when or if I'll have kids but my life is fulfilled anyway. I am educated, I can travel, I have plenty of interests.  I still love children and I feel that I can be a good example to the kids that are in my life. What I'm saying that being a mother is not the be-all and end-all of a woman's life.


Comments

Marie said…
I am bit older than you & the baby bug has bit me hard but, I definitely can see your perspective. Some days I'm still unsure of when is the right time.