Observation: Student Center at Calhoun Community College (Huntsville Campus)



There is variety of students here  at different stages in their life. People fresh out of high school, working people in their late 30s and 40s who are part-time or  starting college for the first time, and people like me who have advanced degrees but want to obtain a certification that they can add to those degrees.  I'm working on a teaching certification in Early Childhood development that I will put with my degrees in Nutrition and Public Health. 
One of the most important things that a teacher must do is observe.  So I decided to practice some of this here in the student center

Group of students playing what looks like "Guitar Hero"

A few students alone, working on their laptops (like me)

A cute guy in Nike track pants doing what appears to be homework.

A female student at a crowded table who appears be to looking at me every time I look up.

A gum-chewing female student wearing a black t-shirt and awesome black boots with fringe.  She has a beautiful face and eyes that give her a sort of melancholy expression.

Chick-Fil-A just packed up for a day. Another company will come in and set up.

A tall guy is dumping popcorn into his mouth and talking loudly. I worry he's going to choke. 

I can see into the windows of the bookstore. A classmate of mine is in there looking that the sweatshirts.

The "goth" couple has joined in.  I love the haircut on the girl, it really looks great. I'm not really sure of they are an actual couple but they are always together and I just saw them kiss so I assume they are. I think they look good together.

A female with short red hair is hopping around on crutches, she has a green cast. She has sat down to play cards with some other people.

Campus security is walking around.

A guy in blue jeans with a goatee and glasses in a  chair with his laptop.  I think he's the one I saw sleeping in here a few weeks ago.

Some people sitting on the couch looking at everybody like they are mad or something. One of which is a female with a bouncy ponytail. Not sure if it's real or not but that doesn't really matter.

A guy wearing a dark gray ZOO YORK t-shirt. He's  at a table talking to a pretty brunette with a nose piercing in a light blue sweatshirt eating a bag of Bugles.

The smell of salty, buttery popcorn is in the air.

A girl in a green sweatshirt snuck up on a guy with a beard and he screamed like a little girl.  I tried not to laugh. One of his friends said to her, "I hope you're happy now."

Some people are just walking around looking crazy as hell. People probably think I look crazy.  My Advanced Human Nutrition professor said that everybody is crazy, it's just that we are at different levels of craziness. 

A guy in a black Falkville Baseball sweatshirt just walked up in here. I've been to Falkville once, a few years ago.

I really want to go grab a milkshake and a sandwich, but I don't feel like carrying all my stuff into the bookstore. It's only a few steps away but I don't want to leave my things unattended.  Hopefully someone I know with come and sit with me and they can watch my stuff while I run in and get something.

Ok cool. Someone takes the table next to me and agrees to watch my stuff while I go grab something to eat. I get the BBQ pulled pork sandwich and a drink.

There's a guy with a great smile and dimples at another table.

Comments