Coffee in the City


The sun has long gone down.  Full moon tonight. Summer breeze blowing through the trees in Huntsville, Alabama. I'm sitting on the patio of a Starbucks listening to a mixture of traffic, jazz music, and the chatter of other customers. Reminiscing on the mocha frappuccino I had.  Just chilling in my black and white jumpsuit and my curly afro puff slightly to the side of my head, giving me some extra attitude.  Black teardrop-shaped earrings dangling. I'm in a more upscale area near Crestwood Medical Center. The Rolex store is right next door. The parking lot is full of BMW's, Corvettes, Hummers, and Dodge Challengers. The loud roar of the occasional passing motorcycle sends a chill up my spine. Apparently, my mom used to ride on the back of my dad's motorcycle when they were dating. (It's hard to picture her as a biker chick.) On this summer night, I watch the hustle and bustle of the busy street. Another patron talks to her friend about an incompetent co-worker. It's Saturday night but I have no plans. I'm not really interested in the nightclubs anymore. I'm more into bookstores, coffeehouses and occasionally a bar. A military plane just flew over, possibly going over to the Redstone Arsenal. I just needed to get out of the house. Ok, a guy on a bicycle almost got hit by a car. The patio umbrellas flapping in the breeze. A roach just crawled by, but we're outside so I'm good. I initially thought about drinking my coffee inside but their a/c is too cold for me, the evening breeze was more agreeable to me. As the evening draws to a close, I think about the road ahead of me and the decisions I have to make. But no worries. Life is too short to spend worrying. Enjoy the moments. Goodnight.


Comments